- Coordinates; 53.294926, -9.013467
- Elevation; about 96 feet or 29 metres, consistent enough with the old map below.
- Townland - Castlegar.
On the Galway city side of the Church, you can spend some time in the Grotto.
Saint Columba's Church, gets a makeover, in 2015 - and is stunning.
^" Walk" around this Church, in Google Street View, by clicking the image above (new window).
In the 1970's, a Local Builder added more space with extensions to the left and right hand sides - adding more light and changing a Rectangle into a polygon.
- Old names of this area - Lachtdavarna and Leaghtifarda (Hardiman's History of Galway).
- The older Church was south of Ballygurrane Village.
- Canon Hyland.
- Below, an Old Ordnance Map from the 1840's. ,
see http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Library/1842OSMaps/ For Free Maps and Copyright.
Castlegar Church is marked as R.C. Chapel.
Click on it to enlarge.
A Thumb image above, from 1957 (Mary), Click it to open a high resolution version, for identification purposes.