There are many places with the name Castlegar, in Ireland and at least three in County Galway.
The 1911 Census classifies "our Castlegar" in a different way to what we would use today.
Following is a list which might be relevant in helping to filter this excellent resource;
- Ballintemple - this page includes links to further pages such as
- Ballinfoile - Ballinfoyle
- Brockagh aka - Brucky and Bruckey.
- Coolagh Urban This is Coolagh/ Coolough to the North, in Menlo.
- Garraun, North
- Garraun, South
- Pollakeen - Polkeen, Pollkeen.
- Carrowbrowne - which includes the following deeper links;
- Angliham or Gortacallow A.K.A. Gort na Callow
- Kilroghter A.K.A. Kyleoughter
- Castlegar (Part Rural)
- Castlegar (Urban)
- Menlo - large village and population in those days, having the longer spelling of Menlough.
- Parkmore - some familiar names
There may be other shortcuts which we can add as we go.
Some records are images of documents which reveal the number of windows in the front of the houses; giving an indication to its size and prominence within the community. For example, one house has 6 giving it more than double the normal for the area.